Wednesday, June 16, 2010

7 Years Post Grad

People. Lots of people. The streets are buzzing with people noise, crowded with people steps and surrounded by people's endless chatter. It is the month of June.


June. It's that time of year again when students go back to old routines of notebooks, assignments and terror teachers. Their parents find themselves scraping the bottom of the barrel after emptying their wallets, piggy banks and safety deposit box for their children's tuition.


I am no stranger to this scenario because I was once that student and my parents used to be one of those parents.

7 years have gone by in a blur. It seemed like it was only yesterday that I came running towards the steps of my university -- excited to start my first class as a college freshman. Filled with hopes and idealistic fervor, I came, I saw and I conquered. The time came when I had to leave the comforting halls that had been my home of 4 years. I took a last long look and bid my beloved Alma Mater farewell. And now, it has been 7 years post graduation. How time flies. Bummer.


So anyway, as I thought about my life for the past 7 years that I had been paying my taxes which is indeed an expensive membership fee in the association of the working citizens, I half expected to have found a job I truly feel passionate about, have a husband or at least be in a relationship and would have gotten out of my mother's hair...er...I mean lair. But of course like all the great oxymoron of this world, I am nowhere near that playing field. Another bummer.


But the good thing about life is that when it gives you lemons, you can always turn into lemonade (or at least that's the stuff you read in text messages these days). Life had been a series of ups and downs for me...highs and lows...mountain peaks and rock bottoms. In these 7 odd years, I have had 8 employers, been in at least 3 career shifts, dated but never committed, got myself into trouble with credit card companies and lost my dad. I have lived some of my dreams and failed at some. I have experienced joys, pains and trials. I have enjoyed friendships...lost some and gained some new ones in the process. I have learned a lot about myself and the faith that keeps me going. I have lived.


So if you ask me if I would trade the richness of my life experiences, trials and mistakes for a million successes, a house of my own, luxury trips around the world and a husband that either looks like Richard Armitage or Eric Bana...I would have to say...yes I would. But then there would be a dead silence for a couple of minutes. I would stop and think and after much convincing from the Holy Spirit I would probably have turned down the offer.


My life as I know it, may not be within the terms I have set 7 years prior to graduation. Had I known, I would not have been excited to graduate! Though things may not have turned out the way I would have expected, the turn towards the unexpected made for one heck of a joyride. I keep seeing this nice Utopia of a world I am currently living in -- a place where I am just like everybody else. I am neither at the top, nor at the bottom. I am no longer this obsessive over achiever that is too stressed and too self-absorbed to see the big picture. And I never knew it would feel this good to have just enough manna to live for the day; because I know I have only to work on my faithfulness with what little is entrusted of me before I am given much.


Yes, it is true that it has been 7 years post graduation...and yet somehow, I feel as if my journey is just about to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment